Founded in 1929 Redemption Lutheran Church has sought to be a Christian community in Northeast Philadelphia offering support and comfort for the neighborhood.
Our mission statement is: "To know Christ, to show Christ, and to grow in Christ." We know Christ through worship and the Word. We hear the stories of God as we join together for worship and know Christ through the breaking of the bread around the communion table. We show Christ through our work in the community. We try as hard as we can to show the love in the world that God has shown us. Finally, we grow in Christ through study and prayer. We walk with God daily, deepening our faith.
Important Points in Our history
- Jan. 6, 1929 - The first meeting was held in the Woerner Home to establish what would become our church.
- Jan. 20, 1929 - The first service was held, with the Rev. A.C. Schenk presiding.
- April 7, 1929 - The first worship was held in Redemption's first building, the Farmhouse.
- December 15, 1935 - The basement cornerstone of the church was laid. The congregation would worship in basement structure till it could raise the money to build the rest of the building.
- Feb. 17, 1952 - The Church building was completed and dedicated.
- 1962 - The church school wing was completed and dedicated.
- 1987 - Redemption Nursery school was founded as a service to the community.
- 2011 - The church helps to establish Rhawnhurst Turning point. A local after school center for youth in the community.
- Dec. 10, 2017 - The congregation calls its new Pastor, Joey Klinger.